Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A comforting beef stew for those cold evenings in. Traditional British dish.
Make and share this English Beef Stew and Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and chop all vegetables.
- Brown steak in a large stockpot.
- Add water to cover.
- Add all vegetables.
- Pour over gravy granules.
- Aimmer for 2 hours.
- Make dumplings by combining 2oz suet, 4oz plain flour and a little water. Separate into small balls and roll in flour. Add to top of stew half an hour before end of cooking. They are ready when well risen.
- This recipe freezes very well and is a weekly meal in our home.
Being British, this is familiar and comforting food me me! This was a good classic recipe that Malcolm and I enjoyed very much indeed! 5 stars for flavour, but 4 stars for directions, as I did not know about the gravy granules until I read the method! (They need to be added to the ingredients!) The quantities are also posted in Imperial and Metric, which is a little confusing, although NOT a huge problem! I used Morrison's Roast Beef gravy granules. I made one tiny substitution, I did not add any mushrooms, but added an extra swede instead. I made my mum's dumplings, Fluffy Little Clouds - Old Fashioned Dumplings for Stew and they compelted this one pot meal. This is a wonderful recipe worthy of many more reviews......thanks very much for flying the British flag! Made for the Belly Warmers Photo Event January 2009 - very much enjoyed! FT:-)