Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, trimmed of fat and cubed
- 1 ounce lard or 1 ounce meat drippings
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 12 ounces beer (bitter or stout)
- 1 package bouquet garni (or homemade spice bag)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- On the stove top, heat the lard in an ovenproof casserole and brown the beef.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and mustard, cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
- Add the bouquet garni or spice bag, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, checking and stirring every 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add a little water if necessary.
- Mix the flour and butter, stir into the stew to thicken and remove the bouquet garni.