Recipe by Gloria 15x
I don't know where I found this version of stew. I've tried many others and always go home to the tried and true. I alter veges according to what I have on hand. I think its the thyme that makes it so goooood!
- 2 lbs chuck roast, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup English pea
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef over medium heat. Sprinkle with sugar; cook until well browned. (The sugar adds to the browning process.).
- Sprinkle with the flour and brown well.
- Add broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper, green peppers and garlic. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Then add the peas, green beans and potatoes. Simmer until meat and vegetables are tender.