Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From THE MOUNT VERNON COOKBOOK, pg. 29. Storing overnight in the refrigerator improves flavor.
- 1 lb beef, top round
- 6 cups water, cold
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup barley, fine
- 1⁄4 cup split peas
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Combine cold water, top round cut in small pieces and salt in a 4-quart soup pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, skim thorougly and add barley, split peas and peppercorns.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add chopped onions, carrots and celery and simmer 1/2 hour longer, stirring frequently.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Fantastic soup! It doesn't look like much, but it is very savory and delicious even on the first night. I used only one onion and one tsp salt....and I didn't even have any carrots.