Recipe by NELady
From THE MOUNT VERNON COOKBOOK, pg. 29. Storing overnight in the refrigerator improves flavor.
Top Review by Debbie R.
Fantastic soup! It doesn't look like much, but it is very savory and delicious even on the first night. I used only one onion and one tsp salt....and I didn't even have any carrots.
- 1 lb beef, top round
- 6 cups water, cold
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup barley, fine
- 1⁄4 cup split peas
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cold water, top round cut in small pieces and salt in a 4-quart soup pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly, skim thorougly and add barley, split peas and peppercorns.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add chopped onions, carrots and celery and simmer 1/2 hour longer, stirring frequently.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley.