1 hr 10 mins
A sweet treat from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 apples, medium sized, peeled and cored (Use a good flavored apple such as Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Cortland, Empire or Winesap)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pie crust (either store bought or your own recipe)
- 1Cook apples and mash to make a sauce.
- 2Add butter; cool and add next three ingredients.
- 3Stir in cream.
- 4Pour into pie crust and bake in oven preheated to 425F for ten minutes.
- 5Reduce temperature to 350F and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean.
- 7To make meringue: In a saucepan, blend the cornstarch with the water.
- 8Add the boiling water, and cook, stirring until clear and thickened.
- 9Let stand until COMPLETELY COLD ( I just put it in the fridge for an hour to speed up the cooling process, but by all means it can sit out at room temperature too).
- 10With an electric mixer, at high speed, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- 11Gradually add in the sugar; beat until stiff, but not dry.
- 12Turn the mixer to low speed; add in the salt and vanilla.
- 13Gradually beat in the cold cornstarch mixture.
- 14Turn the mixer onto high again; beat well.
- 15Spread the meringue over cooled pie filling sealing the meringue to the pie crust.
- 16Bake at 350F degrees for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for English Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.3
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 164.0 mg
- Sodium 251.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 61.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g