A fairly simple coffee cake. A great treat for yourself and the family yet pretty enough for company. This is being posted for the British/Irish section of the tour.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 medium apples, peeled & sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy, add lemon juice & eggs & beat well.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Fold flour mixture into brown sugar mixture, add milk & raisins; don't overbeat.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 springform pan & Arrange apples on top, pressing them down somewhat into the batter.
- Bake 1 hour then drizzle with warm honey & sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Very good! I followed almost the complete recipe. But for the apples I used 3 small be sure not to cut to thin for they add nice moisture to the cake. Loved the honey and then found 1 tablespoon of cinnamon sugar to be plenty. But then again I don`t have a 9x13 springform pan so the apples would have to be spread out more so add 1 more and the sugar would distributed more maybe to 2 tablespoons.