Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was served in a local restaurant and soon became one of our favorites to make at home. A fast and simple comfort food. I usually make it with American cheese but recently made it with Smoked Gouda and it melted beautifully and was TDF.
- 6 English muffins (fork-cut)
- 2 -3 tomatoes, cut into 12 slices
- pepper, to taste
- 12 slices crispy bacon (use more bacon, if desired and the crispier the better)
- 12 slices American cheese (white or yellow, your preference)
- Cook bacon strips until 'very crispy' and break each strip in half.
- Split english muffins in half and toast. (see note).
- Top each muffin half with a slice of tomato.
- Sprinkle with pepper (if desired).
- Place two of the bacon 1/2's on top of each muffin half, in a criss-cross pattern.
- Top each muffin half with a slice of cheese.
- Place under broiler (watching carefully) just until cheese begins to melt and ooze over the bacon.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- Note: My DH prefers to have just a dab of butter spread over the english muffin after toasting. I prefer it sans butter.