Recipe by Abby Girl
My mother-in-law is British and for her 90th birthday we make this cake for her. It turned out wonderful and she loved every bit of it!!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk, warmed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- confectioners' sugar
- strawberry, sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour 2 - 8" round cake pans. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together twice. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, process or blend (on highest speed) lemon zest and granulated sugar until finely ground, about 1 minute. Pour into large mixing bowl. Add softened butter. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add to butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition and adding 1 tablespoon flour mixture during the last 3 additions.
- Gradually beat in remaining flour mixture, beating until smooth and shiny. Pour into prepared cake pans. Smooth tops.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes until top is golden-brown and springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pans set on racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- Assembling the Cake: Invert one cooled cake layer on serving plate. Spread with jam, then half of the whipped cream, leaving a 1-inch border around edge of cake.
- Top with second cake layer, right side up. Sift confectioners' sugar over top of cake or top cake with remaining half of whipped cream.
- Cover and refrigerate cake until serving time. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.