1/5 Photos of Engagement Roast Chicken (Barefoot Contessa)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 35 mins
After making this, I want to marry myself, it tastes SO good! LOL This is quite simple, juicy and VERY flavorful, with a crispy skin. I want the onions to carmelize, so I put the 1/2 cup chicken stock and the 1/2 cup white wine into the roasting pan in the beginning. (add more if needed) Sometimes I add fresh thyme or other herbs into the lemon-onion mixture. If you don't have twine, the chicken will still be fine, but tuck the wings under. I have added either small Red or Yukon potatoes to the pan with great results, the potatoes soak up the drippings and are very yummy. This is adapted from Food Network, Ina ROCKS!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Remove and discard the chicken giblets.
- 3Pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
- 4Cut the lemons in quarters, place 2 quarters in the chicken along with the garlic and reserve the rest of the lemons.
- 5Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- 6Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- 7Place the chicken in a small (11 by 14-inch) roasting pan. (If the pan is too large, the onions will burn.)
- 8Place the reserved lemons and the sliced onions in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Pour the mixture around the chicken in the pan.
- 9Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh.
- 10Remove the chicken to a platter, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the sauce, leaving the lemons and onions in the pan.
- 11Place the pan on top of the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
- 12Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Add the stock and sprinkle on the flour, stirring constantly for a minute, until the sauce thickens.
- 13Add any juices that collect under the chicken. Carve the chicken onto a platter and serve with the lemons, onions, and warm sauce.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Engagement Roast Chicken (Barefoot Contessa)
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1433.5
- Calories from Fat 870
- Total Fat 96.7 g
- Saturated Fat 27.6 g
- Cholesterol 443.0 mg
- Sodium 477.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 107.5 g