1/5 Photos of Engagement Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
A chicken with ultracrisp skin and a subtle lemon flavor. Rumor has it that if you cook this for your boyfriend he will propose.. here's to hoping. :o)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- 2Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temperature (about 15 min) Pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and outside) season with salt and pepper.
- 4Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity.
- 5(Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on the countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.) Place the chicken breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 6Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more.
- 7Test for doneness - a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork.
- 8Continue baking if necessary.
- 9Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving.
- 10Serve with juices.
- 11Serve with boiled new potatoes tossed with olive oil and fresh chopped parsley and/or steamed asparagus with butter.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Engagement Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 979.5
- Calories from Fat 629
- Total Fat 69.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 320.8 mg
- Sodium 300.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 76.1 g