A chicken with ultracrisp skin and a subtle lemon flavor. Rumor has it that if you cook this for your boyfriend he will propose.. here's to hoping. :o)
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temperature (about 15 min) Pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and outside) season with salt and pepper.
- Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity.
- (Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on the countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.) Place the chicken breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more.
- Test for doneness - a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork.
- Continue baking if necessary.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving.
- Serve with juices.
- Serve with boiled new potatoes tossed with olive oil and fresh chopped parsley and/or steamed asparagus with butter.