1/3 Photos of Engadiner Nusstorte (Nut Cake)
A dense caramel walnut pastry cake- think of it like a pecan pie with a lid! Traditional from the Graubunden part of Switzerland. The crust is quite biscuit like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter and sugar.
- 2Mix flour, rind, salt and egg on high speed until a dough is formed.
- 3Divide the dough into 1/3 and 2/3 parts, wrap well in foil and chill for minimum 1/2 hour.
- 4In the meantime, heat the sugar for the filling until it caramelises to a very light brown.
- 5Heat the cream (can be in microwave) and add it to the caramel, stirring rapidly.
- 6Add the honey, heat until it reaches a rolling boil.
- 7Add nuts and stir well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- 8Mix well and allow to cool.
- 9Roll out the larger of the pastry dough rolls and fit into a greased 24cm springform pan to cover the base and sides.
- 10Pour in the cooled filling.
- 11Roll out the remaining dough to form a lid for the cake. Put on top of the filling and join the edges well.
- 12Paint the top of the cake lightly with whisked egg yolk.
- 13Cook the cake at about 180 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- 14Take the cake out of the oven and allow to cool. Do not remove outside of tin until cool! The cake should be totally cold before serving- I put mine in the fridge on the base, and only take it off the base once it's cold and the filling has set. Otherwise if the filling is still hot the bottom will sag when you pick it up.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Engadiner Nusstorte (Nut Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.0
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 115.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 47.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of