Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are healthy and hearty. They can be frozen in a zip-lock syle freezer bag and later microwaved individualy for an out of the oven fresh taste. Great for a quick pick me up! My husband appreciates these! The recipe is a personal adaption from another muffin recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup hot water, plus
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered soy protein concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup oil (canola or olive are healthy choices)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pour water over raisins and set aside to plump.
- In large mixing bowl, gently toss together carrots, zucchini, apples, cocnut, nuts, orange peel, and raisin mixture; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all nine dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Combine oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thick).
- Fold in carrot mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan 10 min before removing to a wire rack.