Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "The Harrowsmith Cookbook". I haven't made these yet, but I will be soon. My classes start really early this year, and I want a healthy grab-n-go breakfast that I can eat on the bus.
- 2 cups carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, softened in water and drained
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup soya flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons mace
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups buttermilk
- Combine carrots, walnuts, dates and raisins and set aside.
- Mix together in large bowl flours, wheat germ, oats, coconut, salt, baking powder, mace, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre of flour mixture and add liquid mixture gradually. If not moist enough add a small amount of water. Add vegetable mixture and stir.
- Bake in greased muffin tins at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Makes 3 dozen muffins.
I made this recipe exactly as written and when they were warm they had a really "unusual" taste. I think it was the mace. When they cooled the taste was fine. When they cooled the muffin was very dense and slightly dry. I definitely will not make these again.