Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe says it's by the American Running Association. I'm putting it here so I don't lose it, because I've been wanting to give something like this a try.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup peanut butter, crunchy
- 1 cup raisins, chopped or 1 cup dried fruit, of your choice chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pat out on wax paper into a large rectangle.
- Take a large knife and divide into bar shaped rectangles.
- Put these in Ziploc bags and freeze ‘til you need them.
Definitely a sneaky way to get someone to eat oat bran, wheat germ and protein powder...camouflaged by the peanut butter and chocolate chips. The 25 servings is unrealistic - *maybe* 16 bars at the most, so this is quite a bit of fat and sugar, more like a dessert and there are probably better energy bars out there. I used dried pineapple and extra dark bittersweet chips; if I had to make them again I would cut the chips entirely or use half a cup of mini chips but for kids or marathon runners the recipe might work as it is.