Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These bars are good to take along on outings with the kids, or as a snack. They really do give a boost when your energy starts to flag.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fruit (any combo or one- raisin, fig, date)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Filling: Stir together sugar, cornstarch, 1 cup of water, and desired fruit, cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cool.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt and stir into creamed mixture.
- Add oats and 1 tbsp of water.
- Firmly pat half of mixture into 13x9x2" pan.
- Spread filling on top.
- Mix 1 tbsp of water into the remaining 1/2 of mixture.
- Spread on top of filling, pat smooth.
- Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes.
- works well at high altitudes.
Jeanne, I know this recipe was only published this morning, but when I saw the combination of brown sugar, dates and oatmeal, I printed it, rushed to the kitchen and made it right away! This is amazing! I couldn't even wait for it to cool before tasting it. This is a wonderful snack. So easy to make and will be great to have on hand. I made it with 2 cups dates and followed the rest of the directions to a T. I know my husband is going to love this recipe. Thanks for posting!
Good, thanks for posting! Next time I make them, i'll be cutting my cooking time to about 30 mins. 35 mins. burnt the edges in my oven!
Healthy ingredients and really tasty! A must try!