Recipe by Cfordm
This is good, fast, simple and cheap to make, like an onion soup, but you subtitute the onions by endives. Hope you will enjoy it!
Top Review by PotatoFan
This is perhaps the best soup I have ever had! I can't say enough good things about it. Very simple to make. The only modification I made was that I cut the endive into smaller pieces. I would highly recommend this recipe!
- 4 heads endives
- 2 slices of toasted crusty bread
- 3⁄4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- With a knife take out the bottom center part of the endives, it is to take out the bitterness.
- Cut the endives lenghtwise in half an inch wide.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the endives, cook over high heat, stirring.
- When they are colored, add the broth, and let simmer 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add pepper and nutmeg.
- In onion soup bowls put 2 tbsp of grated cheese, pour in the soup, add 1 slice of toasted bread and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Put in oven under grill to crust the cheese, and enjoy.