Recipe by Pianolady
This is a wonderful recipe by Ina Garten / The Barefoot Contessa. It is from her book "Barefoot in Paris". We paid $9.95 each for a lesser endive salad a few nights ago, so I vowed to find one to make at home and boy, did we love this!! I couldn't wait to share, and hope you like it! (Please note: this recipe has one raw egg yolk...)
- 4 -6 heads Belgian endive
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk (at room temperature)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe bartlett pears (halved, cored and sliced)
- 1⁄4 lb of good Roquefort cheese
- 1⁄2 cup of toasted walnut halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim off the core end of each head of endive and slice it in half lengthwise.
- Cut out the cores, separate the leaves, and place 1 1/2 to 2 heads of endive on each plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, egg yolk, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion.
- Toss the pears with some vinaigrette and place on the endive.
- Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the endive leaves to moisten them.
- Crumble the Roquefort onto the endive.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve at room temperature.