Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy casserole for the end of the week--very easy to change vegetables or pasta to whatever is on hand.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles (or other pasta)
- 1 lb baby carrots (or sliced carrots)
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cook sausage, onion and green pepper in skillet until cooked and sausage is brown.
- While sausage is cooking cook the package of egg noodles with carrots for 10 minutes, following package directions.
- Drain well.
- Combine noodles, carrots and sausage mixture in 2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine molasses, catsup and Worcestershire sauce in measuring cup and pour over noodles and sausage. Mix in well.
- Cook at 350°F for 30 minutes or until hot.
I am giving this three stars, because I think this recipe could be really good, if the ingredients were more balanced. I ended up using 2 lbs of sausage, because that's a lot of vegetables for one pound. The sausage would get lost. I used the baby carrot option in this, versus the sliced. The recipe does not state in the directions when to add the zucchini, but knowing it doesn't take long to get tender, I added it when I mixed everything into the casserole dish. I had to use a larger casserole, since there is no way it was fitting into a 2 quart as instructed. When I tasted it, I could taste the molasses. It was a bit overpowering and could be toned down a bit by not using the "full flavor" molasses. I do plan to use this recipe again as a base, but with different quantities of the ingredients. Thanks for sharing!
Nice flavor from the molasses, worcestershire & catsup however I cut back the molasses to 3 tbsp and it still gave good flavor. I used "Hot Italian" sausage meat , fresh baby carrots from the garden switched the zucchin for 2 chopped leeks Very tasty casserole thanks for sharing ellie2