Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Harvesting the remainder of the tomatoes, zucchinis, yellow squash and cherry tomatoes before a reported frost had me scrambling a bit. I figured on making sauce but needed a bit more, so this came out a chunky, vigorous sauce for dinner and for freezing. I also used fresh herbs, basil, oregano, and chives to add spunk. Dried herbs can be subbed. Season to your taste. This is a basic sauce.
- 12 large tomatoes, stemmed and quartered (mine were as large as my fist)
- 20 cherry tomatoes, stemmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, whole chopped (more or less for taste)
- 1 cup fresh basil (I use a handful)
- 1 cup fresh oregano (I use a handful)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper, for heat (optional- or to taste) (optional)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients to crock pot and put on low 6 hours.
- Then mash with potato masher and cook on low for 6-8 more hours.
- Add more seasonings to taste at his point.
- FOR FREEZING- put into freezer containers and freeze.
- I do not add meat at this point, I add meat when reheating for dinner.
- Notice: I do not skin tomatoes, as I mash them in the sauce.
- For a smoother sauce when cool and before freezing run through a sieve or a blender, then put into freezer containers.