Recipe by Paris D
Modified from http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/basil_hummus/ One serving = 1 Tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup sweet basil, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed then minced
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- up to 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the pine nuts in a small skillet on medium high heat. Stir them when they start to brown. When most of them have lightly browned, remove them from the pan into a bowl to cool. (Reserve a few pine nuts for garnish.).
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the basil leaves and the garlic. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the rinsed and drained garbanzo beans, most of the pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, tahini, tomato paste, and a few dashes of Tabasco. Pulse several times, for several seconds each time, until the hummus is smooth. Add more Tabasco and salt or lemon juice to taste.
- Add water to the point of desired consistency.
- To serve, place in a bowl and drizzle a little olive oil over it. Sprinkle with a few toasted pine nuts. Serve with pita wedges, crackers, or rustic bread.