I found this recipe in the Star Tribune last weekend and thought I'd give it a try. The pumpkin sauce is very creamy and luscious- it would be great with pasta I think. I made a few changes- added a can of corn to the filling and added an additional 15 0z. can of pumpkin to the sauce after I realized the original recipe made a thinner sauce than I wanted (alternatively, I could have added less water, but it was too late). This is really great comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat if desired)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (6 oz,)
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine chicken and green onions.
- 3Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- 4In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 1/2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoons of pepper until smooth (the blender will be pretty full, so hang on!).
- 5Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish.
- 6Lay tortillas on work surface.
- 7Mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla, dividing evenly.
- 8Starting with side covered with filling, roll each tortilla into a tight log.
- 9Place seam side down on the layer of sauce in the baking dish.
- 10Pour remaining sauce on top: sprinkle with cheeses.
- 11Place dish on a baking sheet, bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling- 25 to 30 minutes.
- 12Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- 13Salsa and sour cream are good condiments for this dish.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas With Pumpkin Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.0
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.4 mg
- Sodium 296.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 15.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: