Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the Star Tribune last weekend and thought I'd give it a try. The pumpkin sauce is very creamy and luscious- it would be great with pasta I think. I made a few changes- added a can of corn to the filling and added an additional 15 0z. can of pumpkin to the sauce after I realized the original recipe made a thinner sauce than I wanted (alternatively, I could have added less water, but it was too late). This is really great comfort food!
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded chicken
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- coarse salt, to taste
- ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat if desired)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (6 oz,)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken and green onions.
- Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 1/2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoons of pepper until smooth (the blender will be pretty full, so hang on!).
- Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Lay tortillas on work surface.
- Mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla, dividing evenly.
- Starting with side covered with filling, roll each tortilla into a tight log.
- Place seam side down on the layer of sauce in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce on top: sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place dish on a baking sheet, bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling- 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Salsa and sour cream are good condiments for this dish.
This is really very good - no fat except for the cheese & minor amount from a whole poached chicken breast. Made 11 x 13 inch & 4 x 8 inch pan. Took your advice & used a 28 ounce can of cooked pureed pumpkin. I am glad that I did not increase the garlic however because it, along with the green onion, became REALLY strong overnight. This is from a true garlic aficionado! I am going to make this again & decrease the garlic by half (I can't believe I'm writing this but I actually got heartburn from the garlic & burped it all night - LOL).. or at least sautee the garlic before blending...I also will either go with a dry curd cottage cheese & egg & corn supplement to the chicken & green onion or black bean/cheese. Overall I really liked the flavor (more readily tastable at first presentation) & the texture of the pumpkin. Oh, I used 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth in place of water & salt (from poached chicken). Served with sour cream & tomato/cilantro salsa. Thank you for this recipe - I will be making again.