Recipe by Kim D.
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar. I hope to give it a try soon and make changes if needed.
Top Review by newspapergal
I halved the recipe, but still had to use more than the amount of oil called for b/c the tortillas soaked it up (I didn't fry them for long either) - so you might want to check that oil amount. I don't think it's enough for 12 tortillas. Also, I couldn't really tell that the flour did any thickening for my sauce; I'll omit it next time. This has a good flavor & is very filling. I prepared as directed, putting my two "stacks" in a 9x13 pan and baking at 350* for about 10 min. I think this also would be good with chicken layered in.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons lard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups green chili sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Grated or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup onion, Minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry tortillas in fat to soften.
- Heat garlic in oil then discard garlic.
- Blend flour into oil.
- Stir in green chili sauce and heat thoroughly.
- If mixture is too thick, add water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Layer tortillas with sauce, minced onion and cheese on oven-proof plates.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Use 3 tortillas for each serving.
- Place in oven to allow cheese to melt.
- NOTE: For a real New Mexican touch place a poached or fried egg on top.
- The egg seems to help meld the flavors.