1 hr 5 mins
My whole family loves Mexican food and a favorite dish is enchiladas verde from the restaurant. I began experimenting with a sauce to make enchiladas but discovered rolling corn tortillas was messy and they often broke apart. So instead of rolling individual enchiladas I began layering tortillas and filling in a casserole dish. This is now a weekly meal for my family!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatillos (green tomatoes found in Mexican food section of grocery store)
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa verde (Also found in Mexican food section)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 25 small corn tortillas
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1Drain tomatillos and blend into a sauce. Bring all ingredients except tortillas and cheese to a boil in large pot until chicken is cooked.
- 2Remove chicken and chop or shred. Add chicken back to mixture.
- 3Layer tortillas, chicken mixture, then cheese in 8x8 dish starting with tortillas and ending with tortillas, saving enough cheese to cover top. Reserve small amount of chicken mixture for top and cover with remaining cheese.
- 4Bake 2O minutes at 350 or until heated thoroughly and cheese is melted.
- 5My family really likes spicy food so I add plenty of red pepper and either fresh jalapenos or jarred jalapenos. Fresh cilantro is also good in this when I have it on hand. Also, right before I remove the casserole I like to turn on the broiler and get the cheese nice and brown.
- 6The filling can be made in advance to save time. Just increase baking time to ensure casserole is heated throughout if filling has been in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas Verde
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.3
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 104.8 mg
- Sodium 732.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 45.3 g