Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 18 corn tortillas
- 1 quart red chili sauce
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, Grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, Fried (optional)
- Fry corn tortillas in deep fat to soften.
- Immerse in chili sauce and place on a warm oven-proof plate.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped onion.
- Cover with red chili sauce and place another tortilla on top.
- Repeat the process then pour enough chili sauce over them to cover tortillas.
- Three tortillas make one serving.
- A fried egg is traditional on top of each enchilada.
This is just how we made it when I was growing up and I still make it this way. Restaurants in Mexico make it this way too. I also make my own enchilada sauce.
These are what we call New Mexico style enchiladas. I make these quite frequently. The recipe is very easily reduced or increased as needed. My warming drawer makes these a snap to put together. Thanks Chef Janet for posting.