1/1 Photo of Enchiladas Potosinas
1 hr 30 mins
These unusual enchiladas, with red chile ground in the masa, are sold from small stands in the industrial capital of San Luis Potosí. More like a quesadilla in appearance, they are usually served with shredded lettuce and guacamole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a comal or iron skillet over medium heat. Place the chiles in the hot skillet, using a spatula to press them against it lightly. Turn them so that both sides begin to change color. This will take about 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn them. Soak in the hot water for 25 minutes. Then purée chiles in a blender with 1/2 cup of the water in which they soaked. Melt the lard in a small skillet, add the chile purée and sauté for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a small skillet, add the onion and sauté until transparent. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of the chile purée and stir well. Set aside.
- 3Place the masa in a bowl, add the remaining chile purée and the salt and knead until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 4Form the masa into balls, place between 2 pieces of plastic in a tortilla press, flatten to form circles (about 3"). Remove the plastic. Spread the cheese mixture in the middle of each circle, leaving a narrow margin. Fold the circles in half and press the edges to seal.
- 5Heat a comal or iron skillet and toast the enchiladas for 2 or 3 minutes on each side or until the masa changes color and seems cooked. Heat 1/2 inch (1 cm) oil in a skillet, add the enchiladas 2 or 3 at a time and fry for 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Drain.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas Potosinas
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 39.2
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 100.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: