Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 lb tomatillo, fresh
- 1 clove garlic
- to taste oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas
- to taste monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Place chicken in saucepan cover with water.
- Add 1/4 of onion, salt to taste and peppercorns.
- Simmer 45 minutes.
- Cool chicken in broth.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup broth.
- Bone and shred chicken.
- Wash husked tomatillos and place in medium sauce pan.
- Add 1/2 inch water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 mins. or until tender.
- Drain and cool slightly.
- Place cooked tomatillos, remaining onion and garlic in blender and puree.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan.
- Add tomatillo mixture, reserved broth and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Simmer covered 15 mins.
- Soften tortillas in oil.
- Place 1/6 chicken on each softened tortilla; add a spoonful of sauce. Fold tortilla over filling; top with cheese and more sauce.
This was excellent. Along with the tomatillos, when I boiled them I also boiled three jalapeÃ±o peppers. When I took them out of the water I cut them open and removed the seeds because I prefer my enchiladas mild to medium spicy. I also took the chicken after boiling it and cooked it a little in a pan with some yellow onion, some pepper and a little bit of chili powder before putting it into the enchiladas. I roll the enchiladas up and put them into a baking dish (mine fits 12) and then cover it with the rest of the green sauce and cheese, then I bake it in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes until it is bubbly and delicious.