Recipe by Mims & Squims
I tried every recipe I could find, then finally gave up and made my own. I managed to cut out some unnecessary fat & calories, too, by simply warming the tortillas till they were pliable instead of frying them in a vat of artery-clogging oil!
Top Review by 54stones
These are the best enchiladas that I have ever eaten. Everyone who eats them says they agree. I make two small changes...just to suit my taste. I add 2 teaspoons of cocoa to the sauce and use Rotel instead of tomatos. Yummo.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly-sliced
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat canola oil in saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook 30-60 seconds.
- Add chili powder, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, salt, & garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, & simmer 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, mix cheeses.
- In separate bowl season chicken with salt & pepper. Mix chicken, green onions, half the cheese mixture, sour cream, chiles, and 2 T cilantro. Set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in towel & microwave on high 30 seconds.
- Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of 9x13" baking dish. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken mixture in each tortilla & roll up.
- Place seam side down, side by side in dish. Pour remaining sauce over, top with remaining cheese mixture, and bake 15-20 minutes, or until sauce begins to bubble.
- Garnish with scallions & remaining cilantro.