1/4 Photos of Enchiladas Mona Luisa
This goes against my normal cooking SOP, but the recipe calls for canned enchilada sauce and dehydrated Parmesan cheese. Canned sauce yet simple, delicious and artistically inspiring enchiladas. No baking required. Let's start off 2008 with a whiz-bang! !Gracias, Mona Luisa! Please note that this recipe has been updated significantly since it was first posted. -cg
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1*NOTE: Specifically, Mona uses Las Palmas Red Enchilada Sauce (Medium). For a less spicy version, use Las Palmas Red Enchilada Sauce (Mild). First, she soaks 1 or 2 California chilies in water. (She does this for two reasons: add more flavor to the sauce and "stretches" the meal.) Drain the chilies (*saving* the soaking liquid). Remove seeds and membrane. Puree the chilies with the soaking water in a blender until smooth. Add to the canned enchilada sauce. Also, you will have more sauce than is needed for the recipe. Save and freeze for later use.
- 2Heat up the enchilada sauce in a non-reactive sauce pan.
- 3In a large bowl combine the onion and dried Parmesan cheese. Place the cabbage in another bowl.
- 4Heat up some olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- 5Take one tortilla and [lightly] drench in the enchilada sauce. DO NOT allow the tortillas to soak in the sauce, or they will fall apart.
- 6Fry each tortilla for 1 minute. Flip over and cook another 30 seconds.
- 7Transfer the tortilla to a plate and add a scant 1/2 tablespoon shredded cabbage (give or take). Then add a tablespoon of the cheese/onion mixture. Do not overstuff the enchiladas.
- 8Roll up in a neat little bundle, place seam side down and transfer to a serving platter. Repeat. Add more olive oil to skillet as needed.
- 9*Transfer enchiladas to a serving platter and garnish with any remaining cheese/onion mixture.
- 10Enjoy a slice of Heaven on Earth!
- 11*Special Note: you read and followed the directions correctly. These enchiladas are *not* baked.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas Mona Luisa
Serving Size: 1 (1124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.2
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 9.1 mg
- Sodium 560.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.3 g