Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Use Red Enchilada Sauce - Tucson's El Charro for the enchilada sauce. Chef Carlotta Flores, owner of El Charro Cafe.
- 1 quart water
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 quarts enchilada sauce
- 4 cups longhorn cheese or 4 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sour cream
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the chicken breasts, and boil again. Reduce the heat and simmer 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Drain and cool. Discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat and set aside. Cover.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Dip each tortilla in the oil and place on waxed paper.
- Place 2 tbls chicken in the center of each tortilla and roll each loosely.
- Place seam side down and side by side, in a shallow baking dish. Cover with Red Enchilada Sauce and the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is piping hot and melting, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the avocado and sour cream. Serve with shredded lettuce.