Recipe by LMillerRN
From Cooking Light.
Top Review by Queen of Everything
Love this recipe! The chicken for the filling comes out so yummy. I've made this recipe many times. I actually chop the onion from the cooking process in the filling. Adds to the moistness of the filling. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (11 ounce) can tomatillos, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare filling, place first 6 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Remove chicken from cooking liquid; cool. Remove chicken from bones; shred with 2 forks. Discard bones. Reserve broth for another use.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine chicken, 1/2 cup each Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, and 1/2 cup onion in a bowl; set aside.
- To prepare sauce, place milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through chiles) in a food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare tortillas, fill a medium skillet with 1 inch of water; bring to a simmer. Dip 1 tortilla in water using tongs. Spoon 1/2 cup filling in center of tortilla; roll tightly, and place in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with 1/4 cup each Monterey Jack and cheddar. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheeses melt. Top with sour cream.