Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
From LaViejaTunTun on EtsyVeg.com ( http://etsyveg.blogspot.com/2009/09/interview-with-laviejatuntun.html ) You can really subsitute any veggies you have in the enchiladas. Enjoy!!
- 4 chilies (Poblano or Pasilla)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups almond milk or 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk
- 3 tablespoons tofutti better-than-cream-cheese or 3 tablespoons Tofu Mock Cream Cheese - tofu mock cream cheese
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (red, green, or yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 avocados, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups portabella mushrooms (or any meat substitute ( tofu, seitan, vegan shrimp...etc)
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wrap garlic cloves in foil. Add chiles and garlic into oven and set to broil. Roast the peppers for about 7 minutes, turn then roast an additional 7 minutes or until the skins blister. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Cover roasted chiles with cloth or place in a paper bag. Allow them to sweat for about 15 minutes. (While waiting chop up ingredients for enchiladas).
- Peel the chiles then remove the seeds and slice. Dice garlic. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat add garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes, add peas, roasted chiles, tofutti and veggie granules and mix for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the soymilk and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a bit then place mixture in a blender to puree or use emulsion blender. Add salt to taste.
- Mix diced avocados and ¼ of the diced onion in a bowl. Add salt to taste and refrigerate for later.
- In a skillet sauté the remaining diced onion with olive oil until transparent, add in bell peppers, tomato and meat substitute sauté for another 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add in ½ cup of sauce and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a small skillet. Add 1/2 cup of sauce in a bowl. Using tongs dip tortilla into hot oil and then drop into bowl with sauce. Repeat this until all tortillas are in the bowl with sauce.
- Add 1 spoonful of avocado mix and 2 spoonfuls of sautéed mixture, and then roll. Once done wrapping all enchiladas cover them with remaining sauce.
- Garnish with green onions, cilantro, minced bell pepeprs or whatever you have - Enjoy!