2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 40 mins
This delicious recipe, which I have probably had for over 20 years, is from Sunset Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the pork meat into 1 1/2" cubes
- 2Put the meat into a large saucepan and cook with 1/4 cup water, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the drippings are very brown.
- 3Stir frequently during this step.
- 4Add the onion, carrot, chili powder, oregano, garlic, salt and 4 cups water.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
- 6Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated.
- 7Cool and shred the meat mixture.
- 8Lightly fry the tortillas in oil on each side until soft.
- 9Put the meat and cheese inside each tortilla, roll, and put the seam side down in a greased 9 x 13" pan.
- 10Top with the enchilada sauce and any remaining cheese.
- 11Bake in a 400F oven for 20-30 minutes, or until everything is very hot.
- 12Remove from oven.
- 13[At this point I like to sprinkle the tops of the enchiladas with a little cut up lettuce, diced tomato, sliced black olives, and a dab of sour cream.]
- 14Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchiladas Carnitas
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1216.1
- Calories from Fat 760
- Total Fat 84.5 g
- Saturated Fat 43.5 g
- Cholesterol 272.6 mg
- Sodium 1080.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 75.6 g