Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
These taste just like the enchiladas blancas from my favorite Mexican restaurant in Old Town, San Diego. So rich and yummy!! A MUST TRY! These tend to look pertty messy on the plate, but with all the cheesy gooeyness, who cares?!? I like to add chopped iceberg lettuce and roma tomato to the side of each portion, along with Mexican rice. I also put a drizzle of salsa verde down the center of each enchilada.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 carrot
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- 7 ounces green chilies (diced or chopped)
- 8 -12 small corn tortillas
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup (do not dilute)
- 16 ounces sour cream (can use less)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 2 -3 ounces black olives (sliced)
- Put chicken breasts and carrot in a pot, cover with water. Add salt and pepper and parsley. Cook chicken on medium heat until it turns white and is cooked through. (About 30-45 minutes) Remove chicken, allow to cool. Discard, carrot and water. Shred chicken by pulling the striations apart with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 8 oz of cheese blend, chili powder, olives, and chicken together. Add ABOUT 6 oz of sour cream, enough to turn the chicked mixture into a paste like consistency.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and garlic.
- fry tortillas one at a time in the garlic oil for a few seconds each side. Just enough to soften the tortilla for rolling. Do not dry off.
- Roll about a 1/4-1/3 cup of chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Fold edges around and place in a baking dish seam down. This process does not have to be perfect since when it bakes the cheese and sour cream go everywhere anyway. Continue this process until the pan is full.
- Combine the soup, chilies, 8 oz of sour cream, and remaining cheese blend (leave a sprinkle for the top of the pan in the end) in a bowl. Also add any remaining chicken mixture. Smother enchiladas with this sauce. It will look like too much, but the more sauce the better here.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350. sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top with the sliced green onion. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.