Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is another of my sister's quick and easy recipes and is quite tasty.
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas
- peanuts or canola oil
- Toss shredded cheeses together, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and flour over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until bubbly.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth, and continue whisking until smooth.
- Add spices and half of the mixed cheeses, and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Add chicken, olives, tomato, onions, and green chiles, adjust seasonings to taste, and set aside to cool.
- Dip each tortilla in hot oil to soften.
- Place about one third cup of chicken mixture on each tortilla, and roll up tightly.
- Place seam side down in a lightly oiled 9"x13" baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese, and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is bubbly.
- Enchiladas can be frozen before final topping with cheese.
- Thaw completely before topping with cheese and baking.