Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a completely non-authentic enchilada recipe that my mom picked out of some women's magazine 50-odd years ago, but it is delicious. I've been eating and fixing them ever since.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded (or a combination)
- additional chopped onion (desirable) (optional)
- chopped black olives (desirable) (optional)
- Crumble meat in skillet.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Partially brown, add onion and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce, oregano, chili powder, optional cumin, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste, simmer for 10 minutes, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- Dip each tortilla in sauce to soften slightly, letting excess drip back into pan.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture and an equal amount of cheese on each tortilla.
- If desired, sprinkle with a little raw onion and chopped black olives.
- Roll and place on a baking sheet.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
This is very good and very easy! I substituted ground turkey for the beef. I was looking for an enchilada recipe that didn't call for sour cream or cream cheese and this fit the bill! I will definitely make this again.
Used this recipe in my first attempt ever at making enchiladas and was pleased with the results. I did add half a can of enchilada sauce to my sauce (just to cover my bases) but enjoyed the echiladas and sauce alike. Will make this recipe again for my family. Thanks for posting.