Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
This is one of my most favorite soup recipes! my family requests it on cold rainy days or for a Mexican fiesta. It will definitely take the chill off your bones. Be sure to watch the amount of pepper, or you will get it too hot! The enchilada sauce is spicy in itself. I've added cooked Fajita chicken to this to make it even heartier.
Top Review by NotQuiteVegetarian
If you only ever try one soup in your life - make it this one! This was outstanding. I added a squeeze of chili sauce, about 200g peeled and deveined green prawns (shrimp) and used diced tomatoes - we don't have cans of stewed tomatoes on the Gold Coast. Thank you so much for posting this recipe - just loved it!
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 corn tortillas (cut into 1/2 inch strips cooked until crisp, drain on paper towels)
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large sauce pan combine all ingredients except tortillas and cheese bring to boil;.
- Reduce heat to low (add chopped chicken if desired) and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- (Meanwhile in lg skillet heat oil - add 12 cut strips of tortillas and fry until crisp).
- To serve soup; place generous handful of tortilla strips and some of the cheese in large individual soup bowls - fill with soup - garnish with a few tortilla strips and cheese.
- ENJOY ~V.