Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my most favorite soup recipes! my family requests it on cold rainy days or for a Mexican fiesta. It will definitely take the chill off your bones. Be sure to watch the amount of pepper, or you will get it too hot! The enchilada sauce is spicy in itself. I've added cooked Fajita chicken to this to make it even heartier.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 corn tortillas (cut into 1/2 inch strips cooked until crisp, drain on paper towels)
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken (optional)
- In large sauce pan combine all ingredients except tortillas and cheese bring to boil;.
- Reduce heat to low (add chopped chicken if desired) and simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- (Meanwhile in lg skillet heat oil - add 12 cut strips of tortillas and fry until crisp).
- To serve soup; place generous handful of tortilla strips and some of the cheese in large individual soup bowls - fill with soup - garnish with a few tortilla strips and cheese.
- ENJOY ~V.
If you only ever try one soup in your life - make it this one! This was outstanding. I added a squeeze of chili sauce, about 200g peeled and deveined green prawns (shrimp) and used diced tomatoes - we don't have cans of stewed tomatoes on the Gold Coast. Thank you so much for posting this recipe - just loved it!
Excellent! Made tonight as directed (except for subbing chicken broth for beef) and added the chicken. While tasty on its own, what made the soup was the addition of the tortilla strips and cheese in the bottom of the bowl before adding the soup. Don't skip that part! It truly tasted like chicken enchiladas. Will make again. Thanks for posting!
This is an awesome-tasting soup and so simple to make. I will definitely be making this again and again.