Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
We think this is better than any of the canned sauces, and it's not too much work to make. It's based on an Emeril recipe, but had been modified.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 cups stock chicken or 2 cups beef stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and add flour.
- Stir until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Add the chili powder, mix well.
- Quickly add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Use in your favorite enchiladas.
Outstanding! Used for turkey enchiladas last night & ooh boy was it goood! I bumped up the cumin to about 2t fresh ground & added 2 pressed garlic cloves and a can of Great Value tomatoes with green chilis instead of 2nd can of paste - this was delicious & made for great enchiladas! Thank you, Shiraz, for a great go-to quick recipe we will use again & again.
AMAZING; I did make a mistake so I had to modify a bit. I only purchased one can of tomato paste and it was only 5.5 ounces! I cut down on the broth and it turned out fantastic! My family raved, really raved and that is not like them.....