Recipe by Misplaced Texan
A very good sauce from one of our favorite cooking shows.
Top Review by HiAltitudeTexan
Great recipe! We substituted vegetable broth for the chicken stock and upped the amount a bit to get a more saucy consistency. It turned out awesome!
UPDATE: substituted an 8oz can on tomato sauce for the tomato paste, and it was much improved.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 10 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, heat oil and add flour; smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon for approximately 1 minute.
- Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, tomato paste, oregano and cumin.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- The sauce will thicken and smooth out.
- Adjust seasonings, as desired.