Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Use this as enchilada or taco sauce. Add more chili powder if you like; we like it more mild. I like to make up a big batch of this and put some in the freezer when I have an abundance of tomatoes. Adapted from the "More With Less" cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 1⁄2 cups tomato puree (28 oz. can) or 3 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (28 oz. can)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Saute onion and garlic in oil till soft in a heavy saucepan; do not brown.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Put through a medium sieve or blend till smooth.
This is the recipe to use if you need a quick and easy home-made sauce. Nice and straightforward to make and very tasty too. I only wanted a small amount of sauce so halved the ingredients and used one 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes, which worked a treat. Unfortunately I have used up all my home grown tomatoes, but I'll certainly keep this recipe for processing next year's crop.