Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I had leftover enchilada sauce, ground pork and vegies to be cooked. This is the result. It is a hearty good soup. Instead of ground pork, you can use Jones brand Scrapple; ground pork mixed with cornmeal but omit the cornmeal listed in the recipe. I serve with tortilla chips. The next day it is still as delicious. If too thick add a little water.
- 1892.0 ml hot water
- 118.29 ml quick-cooking barley
- 425.24 g canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 6-8 fresh mushrooms, rough chopped (optional)
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 42.52 g mccormick taco seasoning mix
- 177.44 ml water
- 2 (680.38 g) can enchilada sauce
- 78.07 ml yellow cornmeal
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil or 29.58 ml bacon fat
- salt and pepper
- tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In frying pan add oil, ground pork, salt and pepper,chopped onions,.
- chopped mushrooms. Saute until pork is browned and vegetables cooked.
- Add taco seasoning mix with 3/4 cup water and stir to mix. Bring to a boil,
- cook five minutes. Set aside.
- In dutch oven, add barley to 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cover, simmer 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add Sautéed pork, vegetable mixture, canned tomatoes to dutch oven.
- Then add enchilada sauce and cornmeal. Stir until mixed. Cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes stirring twice.
- Serve over tortilla chips or with the chips.