Recipe by ~jb4~
This is my Great Aunt Versie's recipe. I have no idea where she got it, but we have been making it for over 30 years. My dad especially loves this dish. It is very easy and very tasty.
Top Review by ellie_
Good and spicy. Perfect for a weeknight meal. Although I didn't have any problems with this recipe I thought that the sizes of packages/cans should have been mentioned in the ingredients list. I used 9 tortillas, close to 2 lb of hamburg, close to 16 oz of cheese using both monterey jack and cheddar. I used extra cheese because I used extra hamburg and we like cheesy casseroles.
- 1 package corn tortilla
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 onion
- 1 can green chili, chopped
- 1 package monterey jack cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry up ground beef and onion together in a large skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all of the corn tortillas in enchilada sauce.
- Line 2 tortillas on the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan.
- Cut 1 other tortilla in half and fill in the edges so that the whole bottom is covered.
- Layer the hamburg and onion mixture next, then green chiles, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Then repeat again with the tortillas, hamburg, green chiles and 1/3 of the cheese.
- With the remaining sauce in a bowl add the can of cream of mushroom soup and mix well.
- Pour over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly.