Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my Great Aunt Versie's recipe. I have no idea where she got it, but we have been making it for over 30 years. My dad especially loves this dish. It is very easy and very tasty.
- 1 package corn tortilla
- 2 cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 onion
- 1 can green chili, chopped
- 1 package monterey jack cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- Fry up ground beef and onion together in a large skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all of the corn tortillas in enchilada sauce.
- Line 2 tortillas on the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan.
- Cut 1 other tortilla in half and fill in the edges so that the whole bottom is covered.
- Layer the hamburg and onion mixture next, then green chiles, and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Then repeat again with the tortillas, hamburg, green chiles and 1/3 of the cheese.
- With the remaining sauce in a bowl add the can of cream of mushroom soup and mix well.
- Pour over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly.
Good and spicy. Perfect for a weeknight meal. Although I didn't have any problems with this recipe I thought that the sizes of packages/cans should have been mentioned in the ingredients list. I used 9 tortillas, close to 2 lb of hamburg, close to 16 oz of cheese using both monterey jack and cheddar. I used extra cheese because I used extra hamburg and we like cheesy casseroles.