Recipe by Sharlene~W
Made with ground beef, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes. (Update: Made this tonight for the first time and was very pleased with the results with one exception. I thought the flour tortillas were difficult to cut through. Next time I think I will not drain the tomatoes and use layers of tortilla chips instead of flour tortillas. The extra liquid from the tomatoes should soften the chips.)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 green bell peppers (or both) or 3 red bell peppers, sliced (or both)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (fresh or commercial)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Cook beef in a large frying pan until no longer pink.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and return meat to the pan.
- Drain tomatoes and add with salsa, vinegar, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and break up tomatoes with a spoon.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Spray bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray and line with 4 flour tortillas.
- Put in half of the meat mixture and top with half of the onion mixture.
- Cover with 2 tortillas.
- Repeat with layers and meat and onion mixture.
- Top with cheeses and jalapeño peppers.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.