Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very simple casserole adapted from a recipe found in a 1978 Sunset cookbook. Serve with a crisp green salad and you have a great meal.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas, spread with
- butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brown turkey and onion in olive oil.
- add seasonings and tomato sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- grease a 2-quart casserole.
- Alternate layers of tortillas, beans meat sauce, olive and cheese.
- Add water.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through.
I needed a quick-to-prepare recipe after getting home later than expected from an appointment. This one fit the bill, including the fact that it calls for ground turkey, which I've been trying to use more often than not. I substituted a packet of taco seasoning and added the amount of water called for on the envelope. Also added a layer of diced green chilis. A delicious dinner was on the table in very little time. Thank you very much for posting this, Simply Chris.