Posted in response to a request. A simple inexpensive family dinner with mild flavors. Note recipe makes 3 casseroles, 4-5 servings each, for freezing, but recipe is easily cut down for immediate cooking. From Frozen Assets by Deborah Taylor-Hough, a OAMC book.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 24 ounces tomato sauce
- 18 corn tortillas, spread with butter (I spray with a little cooking spray)
- 12 ounces black olives, drained and chopped (I use 3 cans sliced olives, drained)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Brown ground beef and onion; add seasonings and tomato sauce.
- In 3 2-quart casserole dishes (I use 3 square foil pans for freezing), alternate layers of tortillas (can be cut into 1-inch pieces), meat sauce, olives and cheese.
- Add 1/2 c water to each casserole. Cover tightly. Label and freeze. Thaw casserole completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.