Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is a delicious and easy dish -- my kids love the taste and it is quick to make on a busy night. This recipe is a prize winner from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bottled salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- bottled salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine egg, onion, 1/4 cup salsa, the chili powder, garlic, and salt. Add ground beef and mix well. Shape into a ball and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Flatten meat mixture to a 6-inch circle; set aside.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread corn muffin batter over meat mixture in pie plate. Bake about 50 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 160°F
- Remove from oven. Halve cheese slices and arrange on top of the corn muffin mixture. Cover loosely and let stand 10-15 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with additional salsa.
I'm giving this yummy recipe 5 stars for ease of preparation and kids and adults alike enjoyed it. I followed the recipe exactly as written using a green tomatillo salsa and 1/2 mild/1/2 sharp cheese blend on tthe cornbread topping. I used 85% lean ground beef and when I removed the dish from the oven, I did tip the pie plate to carefully ovr a pan to drain off as much fat as I could. This recipe is going into our meal rotation at the insistence of our kids; not that we adults minded in the least. Thank you Taste Tester for sharing this fabulous week-night dinner dish that only needs a salad to make it complete.
This was quick and easy to make. Everyone enjoyed the new tasty spin on meatloaf. Even my picky eater; 6 yo. Emily loved it. Thanks for a great dinner.