Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Have been making a variety of this for a while. Husband said this was better than the last, so am writing it down. If anyone makes this, please consider changing it up to suit your family's tastes...
- 1 lb ground sirloin or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb cut up chicken breast
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 anaheim chili, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes (give or take...)
- 7 ounces green chilies
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce (or make your own)
- 2 cups mexican cheese (low fat...whatever you prefer)
- 12 corn tortillas or 12 flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (or more to your preference)
- 12 ounces corn chips (or more to your preference)
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 tablespoons sour cream (I use low fat)
- If your making your own enchilada sauce, start it first. We really like this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-enchilada-sauce-222519.
- While the enchilada sauce is simmering, dice up the Chiles, peppers, onions and garlic. Saute the meat (chicken or beef) in a large saute pan with the veg. Start the saute with a tbl or so of EVOO. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Once the meat is cooked, drain the pan of the excess oil/grease, if any.
- Add in the tomatoes and green chiles. Saute a bit longer -- warming the tomatoes and chiles. (Can use a can or two of rotel if you don't have fresh).
- Mix in 1/3 of the enchilada sauce and 1/2 the cheese to the meat / veg mixture. Take the mixture off the heat.
- Cut the tortillas in half. Spray a light covering of EVOO in 9X12 pan. Place a thin layer of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan. Add a layer (1/3) of the tortillas on the bottom of the pan. Place 1/2 of the veg / meat mixture on top of the tortillas. Add another layer (tortillas / rest of veg & meat), top with last 1/3 of tortillas. Pour or spoon enchilada sauce on top of last layer. Top with last 1/2 of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 min to warm all of the ingredients. Watch it towards the end - you may need to put tin foil over the top in case the cheese starts to burn / crisp too much. Let it sit a few minutes (5) to solidify a bit and make it easier to cut.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, serve with corn chips and salsa -- Enjoy!