Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy of TOH magazine. This is a "sure thing" hit with everyone I've ever served it to.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese (I use more)
- 8 flour tortillas, cut in half (8-inch)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat. Drain fat. Add tomatoes, enchildad sauce, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and cottage cheese; set aside. Spread a third of the meat mixture into a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Layer with 1/2 of the Mexican cheese blend, tortillas (tear to fit), cottage cheese mix, and remaining meat sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.