Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
My grandfather gave this recipe it's nickname after a line from an Italian lullaby. Very good, very easy, very reliable.
- 1 (10 ounce) can red chili sauce (I use Las Palmas original)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced olives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 6 -8 small corn tortillas
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Heat hot sauce, water and tomato sauce in frying pan.
- Brown meat, garlic and onion in separate pan.
- Add olives, salt and 1/2 cup heated sauce.
- In a 9x12 inch glass casserole dish, layer tortillas (dipped first in heated sauce), with the meat mixture and cheese.
- Poor remaining sauce and cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Serve and enjoy.